Have you been feeling stressed, anxious, or worried lately because of all of the news around the Coronavirus? I have been and want to share what has helped me.
Earlier this week, I started on a downward spiral after reading about how we should stock up on life-saving medication like insulin for my 12-year-old son who has Type 1 Diabetes.
I was feeling overwhelmed and out of control. After reading tons of articles, I checked in and noticed that my heart was racing and I felt scared.
I know you might have had a similar experience.
I paused and reminded myself that while I might not have to tools to stop the spread of this virus, I do have the tools to help me cope with the anxiety I am experiencing because of it.
I want to share with you what has worked for me this week and encourage you to try at least one if not all of them!
Tips for Coping with Anxiety, Stress, and Fear:
- Essential Oils: Put a Put some drops of your favorite relaxing oil like lavender on a washcloth and then place that over your face and breathe deeply. Be careful that the oil doesn’t bother your eyes. You might like to add it to just the bottom of the cloth. I did this for the first time this week and can’t believe I haven’t done it sooner. It helped calm me so much!
- Breathing Exercises: You might like to do “Box Breath” with the cloth over your face. This is when you inhale for a count of 4, hold for a count of 4, exhale for a count of 4, and hold for a count of 4. You can imagine that each 4 count is the side of a box. Do 10 rounds or set a timer for 1 to 5 minutes. I have a bunch of breathing exercises on my blog and in my book that will help too.
- Guided Relaxation: This is a new video on my blog and I did this guided relaxation the other night when I was feeling particularly anxious and it shifted everything. I guide you through relaxing each part of your body. This has a profound effect on your body, mind, and nervous system. You might also like to have the essential oil washcloth over your face when doing this.
- Change your thoughts: The other night I realized that I was feeling scared and not prepared. After doing the guided relaxation, I shifted my thoughts and said, “I stay positive and draw in everything I need.” I even made it my phone screensaver. Feel free to use it or create your own! Just click on the image above to download.
- Declutter or Clean: When things are going on in the world that are out of your control, it can calm your anxieties to focus on something you can control like clutter or messes in your home. It is nice to create these moments of peace.
- Send love out into the world: This guided meditation is perfect for when you feel like the world needs a bit more love and you wish you could help more.
Here are a few more ideas from my blog:
– A Chant for Global Well Being
– Super Simple Meditation
– Spiritual Tips for When a Family Member is in the Hospital
– Practice some gentle yoga
– Boost your immune system with energizing yoga
Most of the lessons in my Free Spirit Guidebook can help with stress and anxiety too.
The important thing is to catch yourself, then take care of yourself and do both consistently.
Also, be mindful of how much news you are consuming. It is good to be informed but try to balance that with taking care of yourself.
I adore you and hope you find these tips helpful. XO!